Tuesday, March 30, 2010

heaven working backwards

If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing...
Mere Christianity, on "Hope"

I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven,to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself.
Preface of The Great Divorce

2 comments:

  1. Love best about Lewis--his vision of Heaven. Good quotes. Sometime write up the whole "Weight of Glory" essay, and you'll make my day. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? How did you know I had to write an essay on "Weight of Glory?"

    *grins again*

    ReplyDelete