Saturday, December 28, 2013

songs that take you by the heart

I realize that, coming from a Presbyterian, this may sound a little strange, but I don't have words for God right now. I know, I'm from a theological following that shuns scripted prayers and liturgies. I've been told by pastors and teachers that Jesus denounces "vain repetitions" when he teaches us the Lord's Prayer. Bu like a stroke patient in rehab, I can't move my mouth. My heart has no power of speech, it just gives signals for "yes" and "no."

So I go looking, grasping for what I know. Like a favorite tune long-forgotten, I strain to make out the lines of what had been a familiar prayer. Words are old friends I can't remember.



Songs can take a heart by the hand and lead along,  lend a prayer when no prayer was there, point you down the path when you are lost, lift you up when you crumple in a heap by the side of the road...

1 comment:

  1. And when you have no words, you have the Holy Spirit who prays for you before the throne of God, who takes what is on your heart and intercedes for you. My friend, I am praying for you as well.

    ReplyDelete